The Ba Duan Jin or the ‘Eight Pieces of Brocade’ is an ancient practice which is now possibly the most popular form of Qigong in the modern world. Its origins are, at best, unknown, although influences from India, Tibet, and China.
Over the years, many versions can be found today, each consisting of eight exercises, each focusing on strengthening a particular area of the body and improving the flow of breath through the body. The set can be completed in about 20 to 30 minutes and forms a core part of your daily routine.
The many benifits of the Ba Duan Jin include:
- Improved physical health: The exercises in Ba Duan Jin can improve physical health by promoting flexibility, strength, balance, and coordination. They also help to improve the function of the cardiovascular, respiratory, and digestive systems.
- Reduced stress and anxiety: The slow, rhythmic movements of Ba Duan Jin can help to reduce stress and anxiety by promoting relaxation and calming the mind.
- Increased energy levels: Practicing Ba Duan Jin can help to increase energy levels and reduce fatigue by improving circulation and oxygenation of the body.
- Improved immune function: Regular practice of Ba Duan Jin has been shown to stimulate the immune system, which can help to prevent illness and disease.
- Enhanced mental clarity: Ba Duan Jin can improve mental clarity and focus by promoting relaxation and reducing stress and anxiety.
This is a foundational set for a healthy body and to prepare it for Martial or Internal practice.